The Zamfara State Government has confirmed the release of the 317 female students ‘Zamfara schoolgirls’ abducted from Government Girls Secondary School, GGSS, Jangebe in Talata Mafara Local Government Area, LGA last week.
A government official confirmed the release of the girls to Channels Television on Sunday.
Meanwhile, our correspondent reports that a briefing is about to start at the government house in Gusau, as some federal government officials are about to brief the governor on the latest development. It’s not clear yet from our reporter’s point of view if the briefing is about the release of the girls.
But the Zamfara State Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Hon. Abubakar Mohammed Dauran has refuted the reports, saying that the state government was doing everything possible to secure the release of the girls.
In an earlier statement, Chairman of the Forum and Governor of Plateau State Simon Bako Lalong said this trend is unacceptable and strong measures must be taken to put an end to it before it escalates into a monster that will consume educational pursuit and national aspirations.
Governor Lalong said this development which is coming on the heels of the abduction of school children in Kagara, Niger State still being addressed, calls for serious concerns among all Nigerians.